Monday, March 24, 2008

The Experience of Travel

The first time I traveled for work it was about 100 miles away. My travel, research and photographing was a full day assigment. I had always had a job with no flexibility, where I was stuck in an office all day long. There was no freedom, no fresh air, a miserable boss, and no flexibility!


Getting out on the road to a city I had never had occasion to go to was very exciting! I made a map of my journey so I knew what order to visit properties in, grabbed my iPod, fired up my GPS and got going. The weather was beautiful, the drive was beautiful and I was so excited to be doing something different. I couldn't believe I was being paid to do this job, but I was!

I had some wonderful experiences that felt very fulfilling. I will admit that on some occasions this is a lonely job. Luckily my employer is okay with a significant other or pet traveling with me although I really don't have much opportunity to do that. I did take my dog one weekend when I went 15 miles from my house to explore a land sale. I was in a position before that was very social. I talked to probably 50 or more people in a day, it was a very difficult adjustment to not be seeing or talking to this many people anymore.

We'll see if I can continue to hack it!

Next up, Sh*t Work!

No comments: