Friday, March 21, 2008

Tips For Finding A Mentor

If you are getting into this business one of the most frustrating issues is finding a mentor. Then, if you are lucky enough to find a mentor, you have to find one who is trustworthy.

I finished my classes in June of 2007. I didn't actively start looking for a mentor until I finished my classes. USPAP was my last course and I wanted to be able to say that I had completed it. Over the summer of 2007, I had three full-time job offers in commercial appraisal firms. I chose one, and began my journey in October.

Here are some tips that I can pass on to you from my search:

1. If you take Appraisal Institute courses, make sure that the coordinator for your chapter has your resume.

I had five interviews and two offers from the chapter coordinator forwarding my resume to people who were actively looking for trainees. PS: I wasn't a member of AI at the time, I would say that most will gladly accept your resume whether you are a member or not.

2. Make sure your resume is spotless.

I don't want to offend anyone by saying this, check to make sure names are correct, check for typos and mis-spellings. I reviewed resumes for years, you would be surprised at how many well educated people never proofread their resumes. If I found typos or mis-spellings, it was thrown in the trash immediately. My current employer also followed this criteria.

You must be detail oriented in this business, prove it with your resume.

3. Emphasize your pertinent skills.

Any real estate experience, research experience, writing experience etc. Do yourself a favor and visit your local courthouse (or check for court records online.) Get acquainted with the process involved in searching for deeds, mortgages, tax maps, etc. You will be surprised how much of this can be done online, and you can emphasize these skills on your resume.

4. Know if you would like to specialize.

This may come later in your career, but if you know that you want to specialize in residential appraising, multi-family housing, health care facilities, hospitality establishments, etc. reasearch companies that specialize in these types of appraisals. There are some interesting niches out there. Think outside the box!

5. Join AppraisersForum.com.

There is a lot of experience on that forum. People who have been working in this field for years. Everyone is kind and respectful and they want to be helpful to you. Not only is it a great way to meet people it is a terrific opportunity to get questions answered. They have a newbe/appraiser wannabe forum and also a jobs forum.

6. Appraisal Institute Chapter/Dinner Meetings.

Personally, I never did this, but everyone in the field recommends that if you are interested in joining the Appraisal Institute that you visit your local chapter and attend dinner meetings. It is a good way to meet many appraisers under one roof. It could be that they are not looking for a trainee, but they may know someone who is, since they are able to talk to you and see you, you have a better chance of getting your resume forwarded.

7. Find Names of Appraisers In Your Area.

This is pretty easy. You can look in the yellow pages and on the internet. I wanted to find someone with an MAI designation, so if you click on the link and go to the Appraisal Institute's website you can search for appraisers by area. Print the list and start sending out resumes or making phone calls.

8. Keep A Paper Trail.

I kept track of every company I sent resumes and cover letters to. I would suggest making a subfolder for each or naming each specifically so you know who got which letter and resume. For some firms I tailored my resume to them and wanted to know exactly what the resume looked like. Make a simple spreadsheet of who you sent resumes to and what day you mailed them.

9. Read, Read, Read.

Read your text books, read everything and anything you can get your hands on, you'll learn some valuable information and when you do get that interview you'll be able to have conversations about issues in the field.

Good luck!

Next, Preparing For Your Interview(s)

No comments: