Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We'll begin at the beginning. . .

I am a real estate appraiser trainee. I hope to use this blog to chonicle my trainee period for those who are interested in the field. Check back often, I hope to post at least several times per week.

It is well known that the "barriers to entry" in this field are huge. Anyone who is looking for a mentor can substantiate that now. Especially now that the market is going south. In most cases, mentors have nothing to gain by taking you on, this is why lots of mentors require trainees to bring their own business. I was very fortunate that my mentors didn't make me do this. I think some mentors have a hard time finding good quality trainees too. Let's be honest, some people get into this line of work because they think it is quick money for very little effort.

Not true. If you have this attitude, throw it away now.


I had decided early on that I wanted to pursue a Certified General License. This allows you to appraise just about any piece of real estate that you are competent to appraise. I'm the type of person that I like to have options. I don't want to work this hard and get stuck only being able to appraise houses, or only being able to appraise restaurants, etc. I want to be marketable, and I want to be able to pull income from as many job sources as I can.



I was experiencing job frustrations when I decided it was time for a new career. I was working in the field of eduation, and had worked in that field for many years, when I decided to make the switch. Like a lot of people, in my former job I was experiencing way too much frustration for way too little money. I always loved real estate, but didn't feel like I would make a very good salesperson. I love finance and math and I'm a good analytical thinker, this is what pointed me in the direction of appraisal.



I signed up for a series of Appraisal Institute courses. For anyone considering this line of work I would wholeheartedly recommend their classes. For the money I spent I got a really good education. In four courses I accumulated 90 hours of classroom time. (I will need 300 hours to get my license) and there are plenty of mentors out there who will not consider someone without Appraisal Institute education. For those of you who are considering the online route I would advise you not to, especially for your preliminary coursework. The instructors work in the field and have years of experience, I was able to benefit from the work/business experiences of every instructor. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The courses that I have taken are:

Basic Appraisal Principles (30 Hours)
Basic Appraisal Procedures (30 Hours)
Residential Market Analysis & Highest and Best Use (15 Hours)
Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (15 Hours)

This is a good start for anyone, keep in mind though that most states will not let you count hours that you have acquired before taking your USPAP course.

Coming up next, essential skills for an appraiser.

No comments: