Saturday, March 22, 2008

Preparing For Your Interview(s)

One thing I picked up on very quickly is that most appraisers will be just as uncomfortable interviewing you, as you will be uncomfortable being interviewed. These aren't corporate people who do a lot of hiring, firing or catering to personnel issues-- they are businessmen/women; their time is money and they need help.

I guess my advice to you is this, don't spend huge amounts of time figuring out what you are going to say when the interviewer asks "Where do you see yourself in ten years?" I was never asked that question. I'm not saying don't prepare, but don't waste time on it either.

My first piece of advice would be to know your interviewer and their specialties. What kinds of jobs do they take on? Will they take on anything to stay busy? There are some interesting specialties out there, I interviewed with one company that did mostly litigation work; ad valorem tax appraisals and condemnation. Know what they specialize in and acquaint yourself with the issues involved.

Also, learn about any desigations that your interviewer may have. Many appraisers have lot of initials after their name. Look into the work and studies that were involved to earn these designations.

Some questions you may want to ask during your interview:

1. Does your firm do mostly narrative reports or form reports? Most commercial firms do narrative reports. Writing and proofreading skills will be good skills to highlight for this.

2. How much guidance would I have initially. Be leary of someone who will throw you to the wolves right away.

3. What tools do I need to have? Some firms, like mine, have anything you could possibly need. I don't even need my own camera or GPS, it just so happens that I do have those items.

4. Do I need to bring my own business?

5. Do I need to bring my own Errors and Omissions Insurance (otherwise known as E & O)

6. Does your firm pay or reimburse for education?

You can think of other questions too, just try to keep the dialogue going, you'll do great. It's mostly a personality issue. Most appraisers love to talk about real estate and appraisal business, if you can keep conversation going it will show them that you are knowledgable, well spoken and have a good personality.

Either before your interview or before contacting a firm check with your state licensing board to make sure there aren't disciplinary actions on your interviewer's record, avoid this at all cost. Another helpful tip would be to e-mail a few trusted friends from the appraisers forum or from your local AI chapter to get opinions on your interviewer. It is an unfortunate truth that some people don't play by the rules.

A very wise teacher gave me some advice that I followed through the entire process. . .

"Who you do your trainee hours with will stick with you for your entire career. Their career and their practices are your career and practices. Choose very wisely."

Coming up next, The Very Beginning

No comments: